Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mission Statement of the Nehemiah Foundation for Cultural Renewal, Inc.

Since I began this blog to further the ends of The Nehemiah Foundation for Cultural Renewal, it seems fitting that the first post should include its mission statement:

The Nehemiah Foundation for Cultural Renewal is dedicated to the production and promotion of any Christian media sources that both Praise God for His mighty deeds and Praise God according to His excellent greatness; and to the education of clearly called but as yet artistically unskilled or nominally skilled Christians who seek discipling in either the artistry or artisanship of holistically Biblical Christian media production.

Toward the reconstruction of the world by the gospel through any means that can in good conscience be consecrated to God's service;
Toward the transformation of the church from a market of consumers courted by the world's sin merchants into a community of producers prevailing against the gates of hell;
Toward the vindication of Christ's name, which has been defamed by scoffers on account of the shameful fragmentation of the visible church in America and the anemic irrelevance of its representative cultural output.

We are Christian artists and artisans pursuing accountability for both the integrity of our artistic methods and message and the maturity of each individual's walk with God while cultivating collaboration within the church across genres, mediums, and denominations through the generous monetary patronage of godly Christians who share our vision.
I hope to use this blog to talk about art and to promote NFfCR projects. I started this foundation in 2008 because I saw that there was a serious need for Christ-centered art that was actually well-done. I do not intend to offend, but I must speak frankly. We must follow Jeremiah's lead: pluck up, break down, destroy, overthrow; then and only then can you begin to build and plant. We come into the temple and the city of God and find it desolate, a laughing-stock, a travesty. We must clear the rubble and rebuild. This blog will probably weigh more heavily on the demolition side with about 2 parts demolition 1 part reconstruction. Seems to have worked out alright for Jeremiah.

2 comments:

  1. I am a opera singer who is a Christian and a serious pop culture junky. I am continually trying to figure out as an artist and an Christian American where I fit into these two cultures. I love dialogging on the topics of culture and how to integrate the world of Christianity into the world we live in. Personally, I cannot stand Christian music and refuse to listen to it unless I think its good quality. That being said, quality comes in many different ways: production, musical structure, originality, lyrical content, instrumentation, etc. I get ridiculed for the music I listen to a lot because of this though. Also, as an opera singer, I find myself confronted with different roles that challenge my beliefs.

    All this to say, I think what you're doing is incredibly honorable and well needed. I wish I could help. I've posted your blog entries on my facebook page and have already got positive responses. I would love to stay in the loop with this program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I'm about to finish writing a book on a biblical perspective on aesthetics. If you would like to be a pre-reader, just e-mail me (it's on our website). I'll do my best to keep you informed of our goings on, and feel free to shoot me any questions or comments you may have whenever you feel like it.

    ReplyDelete